Rise in Cannabis-Induced Toxicosis in Pets After Marijuana Legalization

Share

Since the legalization of marijuana for recreational use in Canada and the U.S., there has been a concerning surge in cases of cannabis-induced toxicosis in pets. Dogs, in particular, are the most commonly affected by these poisonings, often from ingesting edibles while their owners are away. Although most pets do recover fully from cannabis poisoning, there have been unfortunate instances where fatalities have occurred. It is crucial to promptly identify which type of marijuana product your pet has consumed in order to determine the appropriate treatment. Look out for symptoms such as sleepiness, wobbling, vomiting, dilated pupils, and bloodshot eyes. If you suspect your pet has ingested cannabis, waste no time in seeking immediate veterinary assistance. Treatment may involve inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal, and providing supportive care. Remember, prevention is key – keep marijuana products out of your pet’s reach and if you choose to smoke, ensure your furry friend is in a separate, well-ventilated room.

Rising Cases of Cannabis-Induced Toxicosis in Pets After Marijuana Legalization

With the legalization of marijuana for recreational use in Canada and the U.S., there has been a noticeable increase in cases of cannabis-induced toxicosis in pets. While many people are enjoying the benefits of legalized cannabis, it is important to remember that our furry friends are not immune to its effects. Pets, especially dogs, are the most commonly affected by cannabis poisonings, often from ingesting edibles while unattended.

Overview of Cannabis-Induced Toxicosis in Pets

Cannabis-induced toxicosis occurs when pets accidentally consume marijuana or marijuana products, either by ingesting it or inhaling second-hand smoke. Pets have a higher sensitivity to the psychoactive compounds found in marijuana, such as THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), which can lead to severe symptoms and health issues. Although most pets recover completely from cannabis poisoning, there have been cases of death reported, making it crucial to be aware of the risks associated with marijuana exposure for our pets.

Commonly Affected Pets and Causes of Poisoning

Image by Sven Lachmann from Pixabay

Dogs are the most commonly affected pets when it comes to cannabis poisoning. Their curious nature and indiscriminate eating habits make them more prone to ingesting marijuana or marijuana-infused edibles. Cats, though less commonly affected, can also be at risk if they come into contact with marijuana products. The most common cause of poisoning is the ingestion of edibles, such as brownies, cookies, or cannabis-infused oils, which are often left within the reach of pets.

Severity of Cannabis Poisoning in Pets

The severity of cannabis poisoning in pets can vary depending on the amount and type of marijuana product ingested, as well as the size and overall health of the animal. In general, cannabis poisoning is rarely fatal, and most pets recover with appropriate treatment. However, in severe cases or when left untreated, it can lead to respiratory distress, seizures, and even death. It is crucial to seek veterinary care as soon as possible if you suspect your pet has been exposed to cannabis.

Signs and Symptoms of Cannabis Poisoning in Pets

Recognizing the signs and symptoms of cannabis poisoning in pets is essential in seeking prompt medical attention. The symptoms can vary depending on the individual pet, but some common signs to watch out for include sleepiness, depression, wobbling or unsteady gait, pacing or restlessness, agitation, inappropriate urination, dilated pupils, vomiting, bloodshot eyes, excessive salivation, fast or slow heart rates, low body temperature, and vocalization. If you observe any of these symptoms and suspect cannabis poisoning, it is important to act quickly to ensure the well-being of your pet.

Immediate Action to Take if Cannabis Poisoning is Suspected

If you suspect that your pet has ingested cannabis or been exposed to marijuana smoke, it is crucial to seek veterinary care immediately. Time is of the essence when it comes to treatment for cannabis poisoning. Contact your veterinarian or emergency veterinary hospital and inform them of the situation. They will provide guidance on the next steps to take. It is important not to try home remedies or induce vomiting without professional advice, as this can potentially do more harm than good.

Photo by Brett Sayles:

Diagnosis and Treatment of Cannabis Poisoning in Pets

The veterinarian will perform a thorough examination and may ask about the circumstances of the exposure to determine the appropriate treatment for cannabis poisoning. It is essential to provide accurate information regarding the type of marijuana product ingested, the amount consumed, and the time of exposure. In some cases, the veterinarian may induce vomiting or pump the stomach to remove any remaining cannabis, depending on the timeliness of treatment. Activated charcoal may also be administered to help absorb any remaining toxins. Supportive care, such as intravenous fluids and medication to control symptoms, may also be needed to ensure the pet’s recovery.

Preventing Cannabis Poisoning in Pets

Prevention is key when it comes to protecting pets from cannabis poisoning. It is important to keep all marijuana products, including edibles and oils, securely stored and out of reach of pets. Remember that animals can be very resourceful at finding and accessing food items. Additionally, be cautious when disposing of any marijuana products, as the smell can still attract pets even in the trash. If you smoke marijuana, it is best to do so in a separate, well-ventilated area away from your pets to minimize their exposure to second-hand smoke.

Effect of Marijuana Smoke on Pets

Rising Cases of Cannabis-Induced Toxicosis in Pets After Marijuana Legalization

Pets can be adversely affected by marijuana smoke, just like humans. The inhalation of second-hand smoke can lead to respiratory irritation, coughing, sneezing, and even bronchitis in pets. Furthermore, the psychoactive effects of marijuana can cause disorientation, confusion, and anxiety in animals, leading to increased stress levels. It is important to prioritize the well-being of your pets and keep them away from areas with heavy marijuana smoke.

Educating Pet Owners about Cannabis Poisoning Risks

With the rise in cannabis-induced toxicosis cases, educating pet owners about the risks associated with marijuana exposure is crucial. Veterinarians and pet care professionals should take the initiative to provide information during regular check-ups or through educational campaigns. Emphasizing the importance of responsible marijuana use, proper storage of marijuana products, and the potential dangers of second-hand smoke can help prevent accidental poisoning in pets.

Conclusion

The legalization of marijuana has brought about many changes in our societies, including an increase in cases of cannabis-induced toxicosis in pets. As responsible pet owners, it is our duty to be aware of the risks associated with marijuana exposure and take necessary precautions to keep our beloved pets safe. Understanding the signs and symptoms of cannabis poisoning, seeking immediate veterinary care, and taking steps to prevent access to marijuana products are essential in ensuring the well-being of our furry companions. By staying informed and educating others, we can help reduce the number of cannabis poisoning cases and provide a safer environment for our pets.

HIGH!USA

NEWSLETTER

Don't miss out Join Our Newsletter To-Day

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

logo High USA transparent

ADVERISMENT

Quick Grow Seeds

Your search for the perfect cannabis seed ends here. Dive into QuickGrowSeeds.com and find your match! Visit Website

Share